PierPass Monthly Transaction Data
As part of our monthly newsletters we provide a summary of the latest transaction data from marine terminal operators (MTOs) at the Port of Los Angeles and Port of Long Beach. Below please find data from the month of October 2013.
Average in-terminal turn time:
- 35.4 minutes day shift
- 39.6 minutes night shift
For comparison, the average in-terminal turn time in September 2013 was 36.4 minutes for the day shift and 41.1 minutes for the night shift.
In-terminal turn time is the average amount of time a truck is inside a terminal to complete a transaction. Truck activity information is derived from RFID data, and excludes lunch hour, breaks and trouble tickets. Turn time at individual terminals will vary depending on time of day and other factors.
Frequent callers* average moves per day:
- 11% trucks 5 or moves per day
- 18% trucks 4 moves per day
- 29% trucks 3 moves per day
- 25% trucks 2 moves per day
- 17% trucks 1 move per day
*The ports define frequent callers as trucks making one or more moves per weekday. Average moves per day by frequent callers tells us how many moves a truck can make if it is working every day. In October 2013, 29 percent of frequent callers made four or more moves per day.
Day vs. Night Gates:
- Average daily number of day gate moves: 15,057
- Average daily number of night gate moves: 18,206
- Number of day shifts open: 27
- Number of night shifts open: 17
The number of unique trucks calling on the ports in October was 11,159.
- Terminals were closed for the second shift on Oct. 3 for an ILWU Stop Work meeting.